Another Ludum Dare is over, number 23 to be precise, and my game is submitted. It’s called “Aether” and is a mix of an explorer platformer and missile command, where you have to run through a landscape to reach a mountain with a secret weapon, while at the same time fighting off alien spacecraft.
Next weekend Ludum Dare happens for the 23rd time, and it will be the ten year anniversary of the competition!
As you might know, I released an early version of the pixel editor, now called PyxelEdit, for the Ludum Dare community. Even though it is far from complete, I wanted to share what I had because I think it’s cool and could be useful for making quick graphics for LD.
I have not yet decided exactly what to do with the editor. Right now I’m refactoring the code because there is a lot of prototype code in there, the data and representation is not fully separated etc. This will make the code much easier and faster to work with in the long run, but it also means there won’t be any updates for a while (more than small fixes to the LD version if needed).
I entered the Ludum Dare game making competition this weekend as usual. The theme was “Alone”. I didn’t have any immediate ideas, so I began by making the basis for a platformer with the theme in mind. Then it sort of evolved as I came up with things I thought would be cool to add.
I participated in last weekends Ludum Dare 48 hour game making competition again. This time the theme was “Escape”, and I made a game where you run from enemies and collect coins, called Coin Runner. This time I focused most of my efforts on the gameplay, hence the squares for graphics. You can try the compo version here: Coin Runner compo-version. I’m continuing to work on the game, so stay tuned.
Cross posted at the LD site:
Waking up at 1:30 PM in the day today with aching fingers, I felt happy.
The game is actually pretty fun to play, and not too badly balanced. There are three zones of different colors, and each zone get’s a bit harder. The enemies get a little too fast and jumpy after a while though.
I don’t regret using Flashpunk this time, it really makes everything so much easier than using just as3 like last time. I spent many hours on a stupid bug though, and realised Flashpunk tilemaps do not actually clear tiles when you call clearTile() on them if the clear tile (index 0) is transparent. That was annoying and made me loose a lot of time.
I think the leaderboard can add a lot to the game. Sadly Playtomic has disabled it’s leaderboards due to some problems, but it should be working soon again.
I didn’t really make any graphics at all, but focused on gameplay instead. I think that was a good idea, but the game could really use some better graphics. The music and sound effects could be better too, but they do the job.
A breakdown of the time spent in different applications (tracked with ProcrastiTracker):
Ludum Dare 20 was almost three months ago, and I have been working on a new version of my game The World Above every now and then.
The original game had a lot of flaws. There was only one level, you couldn’t move for a few seconds when you collided which was very frustrating, the resolution was way too high making it unplayable on smaller screens, if you ran out of fuel it was a chore to continue playing as you fell and crashed over and over, and it just suffered from a general lack of playtesting.
Even though there was many problems, I feel like there is a good game in there. I’m especially happy with the controls and movement of the submarine, and I want to get it closer to it’s potential. Due to work over the summer, progress is slow, but I have fixed most of the problems in the LD version, added some new features such as time powerups and mines and replaced many of the rushed sprites with shiny new ones. There are now multiple levels instead of the huge single level, and the tiles in the level are now about half of the original size. (can’t remember why I made ‘em so huge!)
I took part in the Ludum Dare 48h game making compo again this weekend. The theme was “It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this!”. I thought it was a bit limiting, becuase it’s so specific, so I had a hard time coming up with an idea I liked.
However, I settled with the idea of a game where you control a little sub going for the surface, even if it didn’t fit the theme. Better a game that doesn’t than no game at all, and I kind of made it fit…
This is my entry for MiniLD 25 with the theme “The worst game you have ever made”. The goal was to make the worst game you have ever made. It was suprisingly hard not to make little improvements here and there, it’s something I usually do without thinking.
I got some helpful feedback from the people on the ludum dare site. I made the clock design simpler and more stylized. Now it fits in better with the text, and it’s more graphical which is better for a logo. I also made the text bolder and reduced the number of colors to two.Continue reading »